Wiley Rein has one of the largest and most diverse international trade practices in the United States. Named an “International Trade Group of the Year” for seven consecutive years by Law360 and recognized by Chambers USA as one of the country’s elite international trade practices, our Team includes lawyers with expertise across a variety of areas, dedicated international trade advisors, economic analysts, and former U.S. government officials. Among our strongest and best-known capabilities:
- Import Relief/Unfair Trade Proceedings – Our Group has significant experience with the many issues shaping the global competitive environment. We have a strong record of winning large, complex, and high-profile antidumping (AD) and countervailing duty (CVD) cases on behalf of major U.S. industries, and are among a limited number of practices that regularly serve as principal counsel for major unfair trade investigations. We have particular expertise in renewable energy, steel, steel products, paper, and chemicals.
- World Trade Organization (WTO) – We advise U.S. industry and the United States Trade Representative (USTR) in WTO proceedings. Specifically, we have worked closely with USTR in the preparation and conduct of two WTO challenges to China’s rare earth and raw materials export restrictions.
- Economic Sanctions – We advise a diverse set of global clients on sanctions issues ranging from the establishment of compliance policies to OFAC penalties and criminal prosecutions. Representative industries include financial institutions and telecommunications companies.
- Export Controls – We assist U.S. and foreign businesses in navigating the complex requirements of the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) and the Export Administration Regulations (EAR).
- National Security (Including CFIUS) – We advise U.S. and foreign companies, financiers, and sovereign wealth funds on all aspects of the U.S. national security review process and post-transaction compliance with industry-specific rules.